A true scale 10' by 10' viking A-Frame tent. It's ready to use, but it must first be painted before it can be actually used in a reenactment show. It was fun to build... I can't imagine building it from scratch nd having to actually cut down trees and cut them into boards...
A close up of how the boards are held in place. The dowl post is actually the end of a two-by-four board that I cut, carved, and rasped into a dowl.
The 'leather' micro-fiber sword sheath I made to carry the sword around in during fights and whatever... I've been simply carrying the sword around for a while and it sucks! The sheath should help!.
A close up view of the top of the sheath with the sword out. The wood there is only there to hold the 'slider' in place and to keep the belt from crushing the sheath... The wood only goes to the bottom of the slider, since wooden sheaths are prohibitted in reenactment for safety reasons. The slider is that wooden thing on the outside of the sheath, you put a belt through it to hold it on your hip.
The wood there is a little pink because I started to paint the slider red, but decided not to... I'm not sure what I will do to finish that wood now though... Maybe I will paint it after all.
The second painting I've done. This is acrylic on art board. It turned out pretty well I think, but makes me realize I have a ways to go with painting yet... One thing to point out though is that the blue in pictures never works very well; it's actually blended pretty well but the photography makes the transition a bit more stark than they should be... oh well!
Tablet weaving is fun stuff... Especially when your pattern works! Here you can see me trying to fix the pattern, and eventually succeeding (in this pic, the weaving progresses from left to right). Overall this braid is looking great, but because of its complexity I have 'unbraided' it at least 10 times in places to fix mistakes...
My first viking shield, in 1:1 scale for reenactment! I am very happy with it, for a first it turned out extremely well! The dragon is a design I came up with that is based closely on the Ringerike style viking gripping dragon. I have to dismantle it and re-attach the handle on the back though... Turns out that I placed the handle in the same direction as the grain, allowing the shield to curve outward... I have to re-attach it so that it is at right angles to the grain, so that it isn't allowed to bend! Live and learn! Note the axe ans saex knife below the shield there.
This is a close up of one side of my saex knife handle. Apparently Vikings spent their long winters decorating their weapons, so here is my first attempt... I am not all that happy with it, but it's not too bad considering! I might keep it ;)
Not counting the plethora of paiintings I did as a child, this is my first painting. All acrylics, done a small piece of art board of about 15cm by 25cm. It is a test painting essentially; I wanted some practice before I did something bigger. Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out, and I learned a lot from it.
Some shields I did for a commission. One of the guys I know from the DBA community asked me to reproduce every different shield I had done for my Greek hoplites and Persian kardakes plus a spartan shield. Overall they are pretty close copies, but in some cases these shields are better than the originals (the lion head especially), and in others their just slightly different.
Not a miniature, but it certainly has been taking up my time as of late! Yay! Hal\ loween 2005 is almost here!